Packaging Industry is one of the major industries in India that has significant role in creating wealth for the nation, by preserving and protecting the value created by other manufacturing units. The industry helps in preserving innumerable products including drugs and medicines, edible oils, fruits and vegetables, milk and biscuits, semi-processed foods, electronic goods and a lot more.
Packaging Industry is not merely remained to ‘packing’ but with the branding in vogue and rising consumer preferences, it’s role has become catalytic in the Indian economy. The objective of packaging is to meet the criteria of attractiveness, convinience and safety. Heightened competition in the Indian manufacturing sector is paving the way for the industry to move towards International market. Other reasons for playing it big in export is due to availibility of low cost packaging material and higher technology means.
The present modern economy follows the slogan, “Better Quality of Life Through Better Packaging”, by World Packaging Organisation s (WPO). The growth of packaging industry has led to the sophistication from health’s point of view. This has led to the manufacturing of environmental friendly packaging materials that demands an attention to be paid on the seggregation and reutilization of synthetic packaging material.
Factors Affecting Growth of Packaging Industry in India:
1. Industrialization, urbanization and Indian economy’s liberalization paired with globalisation are the major factors fuelling its growth.
2. Cost advantages are making India one of the most preferred export hubs.
3. Rural marketing and low purchasing power of middle or lower class Indians leads to purchase of sachets or small packs. Products such as fairness cream, shampoo, toothpaste, food items, tobacco, betel nut-based mouth freshners, etc. are much in demand and this packaging format is not in trend elsewhere.
4. Increasing personal health consciousness among Indians and increasing awareness towards diseases like AIDS and other STDs, have raised the demand for contraceptives’ and disposables syringes’ usage that has led to an increase in packaging required for the same.
5. Changing eating habits among Indians and increasing restaurants and fast food chains all over the country fuelling the growth of packaging all over the country.
Here are the list of Top 10 Indian manufacturers and exporter of packaging in India:
Parksons Packaging System
Gujarat Glass Ltd
Tata Tinplate Company of India
Moldtek Technologies Limited
E C Packaging Pvt. Ltd
AMAC Plastic Packaging
The Paper Products Limited
Purposes fulfilled by packaging industry in India:
1. Containment: Products contained in container can be easily moved from one palce to another. This helps in protecting environment by avoiding lead to spillages that results in severe losses and damages.
2. Protection and Preservation: Packaging is done to ensure that consumers get the products in good condition. Packaging protects the product from contaminants, hazardous substance, climatic effects and from infestation.
3. Added Product Protection: The technology in packaging contributes in food science advancement, reduces food spoilage percentage and ensure food safety.
4. Communication: Packaging is a mode of conveying messages in modern world. The information descripted on products’ cover make the consumers informed to decide for the products purchase and its use.
5. Convenience: Packaging offers convinience as well. Convinient packaging like frozen food packs, wine cardboard casks, microwavable containers, food cans and aseptic cartons, and easy-open beverage are some good examples. Medical packaging is done in a way to reduce the accidental overdose risk and have child resistant closures.
6. Marketing Trends: Packaging gives increased emphasis on sales appeal, retail packing’s quality and look. Packaging supports brand awareness, brand identities, convinience and properly reflect the current consumer trends, preferences and images.